We’ve had some amazing new members join us in the last year. And we wanted to take a moment to highlight our girl, April. April is such a beacon of light inside our gym, she’s always smiling and no matter how hard the workout is, she always has a positive attitude. She’s a great addition to our CFP family!!
- Name: April Hurdle
- Age: 42
- Occupation: Pharmacist/Photographer
- Hometown: Camden, TN
- What 3 things would people be shocked to learn about you?
- Random Fact: I spent a month in Japan when I was in pharmacy school. There were several countries that I could have chosen to visit, but I figured I would never have the chance to go to Japan again. We spent the majority of our time in Hiroshima, but also visited Tokyo and Kyoto. The Japanese take great pride in everything they do and they were the most gracious hosts. It was an amazing experience and I would certainly go again if I had the chance.
- Silly Fact: I have 2 special talents that my kids are in awe of……….I can burp on command and wiggle my ear. They ask me to do it constantly. My son possesses the same burping ability!
- Personal Fact: Most people are usually shocked to find out that I’m really a very introverted person. As a matter of fact, social interactions used to cause me lots of anxiety. In pharmacy school, it was a struggle because obviously as a pharmacist, you interact quite a bit with other humans. I vividly remember having a conversation with a classmate and him telling me that he was all wrong about me and that I was nothing like he thought I was. What he meant was that because I never talked to anyone his perception was that I thought I was better than everyone else. I was a little heartbroken to hear it but it was also a good learning experience for me. I was putting off the wrong vibe and knew I had to change it. It’s something I still struggle with from time to time, but I’ve gotten more confident over the years and am able to overcome it pretty well. I remember being scared to death the first day I showed up for CFP, but it’s like home for me now. 🙂
How has CrossFit affected your life outside the gym? CrossFit has affected my life by providing me with a community of like-minded peers which is something that I haven’t had in quite a long time. Unfortunately, I believe when we decide to love ourselves so much that we want to be better…..whether by eating healhty foods, exercising, giving up things that are bad for us, etc….. the world can become a lonely place. We can be seen as not normal because we are choosing something different than everyone else. When the people around you don’t share your passion or at least get excited for you that you have found your passion, you may want to give up. But when there are people around you that share those same passions, it’s encouraging and inspiring. I believe the human spirit thrives when the feeling of belonging is present and that’s why I think it’s so important to find you tribe so-to-speak. It’s important to find the people who are going to cheer for you, not tear you down. People cheer for me at CFP and that makes me feel good.
- What is your favorite meal? My absolute favorite meal is any one that I don’t have to cook! But specifically, I cannot pass up a burger and fries!! The Baba Burger at Babalu is probably my favorite. And yes, please pass the guacamole.
- What is your favorite movie quote? I love movies so it’s hard for me to choose one favorite quote! Jack Nicholson is one of my favorite actors, so there are 3 of his that come to mind: “Here’s Johnny!”, “You can’t handle the truth!”, ” and “You make me want to be a better man”.
- What motto do you try to live by? I didn’t really have a personal motto so I had to think about this a little. But I remembered one thing I always say to people is nothing worth having comes easy. It reminds me of a quote from A League of Their Own when Geena Davis’ character wants to quit and she says that it just got too hard. Tom Hanks says to her, “It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard everyone would do it. The ‘hard’ is what makes it great.”
- What is one thing you want to be remembered for? I would like to be remembered for being a positive influence on someone else. For me, there’s nothing better than inspiring someone!